The ASC-Inclusion software project began in November 2011 and will take three years to reach its completion in late 2014.
In the first project year the following results have been accomplished:
- The target audience needs have been identified and user scenarios for the platform and subsystems have been created. This information is now being used to develop system prototypes.
- A free-standing prototype Facial Affect Computation Engine (FACE) that takes video from a standard webcam, infers probabilities for six discrete mental state conditions, and displays the results has been developed.
- A database of prototypical emotional utterances, based on recordings made at the partner site (BIU), has been created. Using the database, a list of suitable audio parameters for emotion perception has been created. The on-line audio feature extractor has been implemented. The system is able to recognize basic emotional expressions as well as dimensional representations of emotion and mental states.
- A set of expressive gestures and movement features that are relevant in improving the affect and social capabilities of ASC children has been identified. A first collection of EyesWeb XMI software modules implementing computational models and algorithms for extracting in real-time the set of low-level expressive gesture features has been implemented.
- The basic procedures of the platform have been implemented. The first version of the platform prototype was produced.
- New video and audio content which will form the main material of the learning tutorials and serious games have been created. Focus groups have been carried out to examine the different game genre’s that appeal to children with ASC and this information has been used to develop the initial games of the platform.
- An evaluation design which will test the psychological and clinical effectiveness of the sub-systems as well as their integration has been developed. 3 surveys aimed to different target audiences at the three evaluation sites have been carried out.
Expected availability dates
First version of the software – November 2012
First version of the software with integrated systems for face, voice and body input – November 2013
Clinical trial of the software system – November 2013
Finalversion of the software & project results – November 2014
For the latest updates on progress of the ASC-Inclusion project, subscribe to our newsletter.